The Generalist Nursing Practice Internship is a 3-credit course that provides students with the opportunity to apply their nursing knowledge and skills in a clinical setting. During the internship, students will work with a preceptor to provide direct and indirect care to patients in a variety of care settings. Students will also participate in case conferences, attend patient education sessions, and complete other learning activities.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in the provision of safe and effective nursing care.
- Apply the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate care.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to provide comprehensive care.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families, and other healthcare providers.
- Demonstrate professional nursing behaviors, including ethical decision-making and cultural sensitivity.
Students will be required to complete the following:
- A minimum of 240 hours of clinical practice.
- A weekly reflection journal.
- A mid-term evaluation and a final evaluation.
- A presentation on a topic related to nursing practice.
Relax! We Can Handle This Class
The course grade will be based on the following:
- Clinical practice: 50%
- Reflection journal: 25%
- Mid-term evaluation: 10%
- Final evaluation: 10%
- Presentation: 5%
- Satisfactory completion of all other nursing courses in the curriculum.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0.
The internship is offered in a variety of formats, including full-time, part-time, and summer blocks.
The internship is offered at a variety of clinical sites throughout the Philadelphia area.
For more information about the Generalist Nursing Practice Internship, please contact the Undergraduate Nursing Program Office at 215-204-5312.