NURS 6888 – Clinical Practicum for the DNP Nurse Executive Leader at Saint Louis University is an advanced-level course within the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program. This course is tailored to provide students with comprehensive practical experience and skills necessary for effective leadership in the nursing field, specifically in the role of a Nurse Executive Leader.
Course Overview: The course encompasses a range of topics crucial for Nurse Executive Leaders in healthcare settings. These include but are not limited to:
- Leadership in Nursing:
- The nature and principles of effective nursing leadership.
- Application of leadership theories in healthcare.
- Strategies for leading and managing healthcare teams.
- Healthcare Administration and Management:
- Principles of healthcare organization and administration.
- Financial management in healthcare.
- Quality improvement and patient safety initiatives.
- Clinical Practicum:
- Hands-on experience in a clinical setting under the guidance of experienced nurse executives.
- Application of leadership skills in real-world healthcare scenarios.
- Integration of theoretical knowledge into daily leadership practices.
- Ethical Considerations in Nursing Leadership:
- Exploration of ethical challenges in healthcare leadership.
- Strategies for promoting ethical decision-making.
Learning Objectives: Upon completion of NURS 6888, students are expected to:
- Demonstrate Leadership Competence:
- Exhibit advanced leadership skills in healthcare settings.
- Implement effective strategies for team management and collaboration.
- Apply Healthcare Management Principles:
- Understand and apply principles of healthcare administration and financial management.
- Integrate Theory into Practice:
- Apply theoretical knowledge to real-world nursing leadership situations.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in clinical settings.
- Navigate Ethical Challenges:
- Identify and address ethical dilemmas in nursing leadership.
- Develop and implement ethical solutions in healthcare contexts.
Target Audience: NURS 6888 is designed for students enrolled in the DNP program at Saint Louis University, particularly those focusing on the Nurse Executive Leader track. It is suitable for individuals aspiring to assume leadership roles within healthcare organizations.
This course offers a balance of theoretical knowledge and practical application, equipping students with the skills necessary to excel as Nurse Executive Leaders in dynamic healthcare environments. The clinical practicum provides invaluable hands-on experience, preparing students for the challenges and responsibilities of leadership in contemporary healthcare settings.