NURS 9121 – Healthcare Outcomes in the Built Environment Laboratory at Clemson University is an advanced graduate course that explores the intersection of healthcare outcomes and the built environment. This course is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of how physical spaces and environments impact healthcare outcomes, with a focus on research methods and models in nursing.
Course Topics Include:
• Built Environment and Healthcare: Understanding the relationship between the physical environment and health outcomes, considering factors such as architecture, design, and spatial organization.
• Research Methods in Nursing: Introduction to various research methods employed in nursing to investigate healthcare outcomes, including quantitative and qualitative approaches.
• Healthcare Theories and Models: Exploration of existing theories and models in nursing and healthcare to analyze and interpret outcomes in the context of the built environment.
• Hypothesis Testing: Application of hypothesis testing principles to formulate and assess hypotheses related to healthcare outcomes influenced by the built environment.
• Experimental Design: Learning to design studies and experiments that investigate the impact of the built environment on healthcare outcomes, considering variables such as patient experience, staff efficiency, and overall wellness.
• Data Analysis: Developing skills in collecting, managing, and analyzing data relevant to healthcare outcomes within different built environments.
• Statistical Methods: Understanding and applying statistical methods to interpret findings and draw meaningful conclusions from healthcare outcomes research.
• Ethical Considerations in Nursing Research: Exploring ethical considerations specific to nursing research, with a focus on studies related to healthcare outcomes and the built environment.
This course is tailored for graduate students in nursing who wish to deepen their understanding of how the physical surroundings influence healthcare delivery and patient outcomes. Students will gain hands-on experience in designing and conducting research studies, enabling them to contribute valuable insights to the field of nursing and healthcare. The knowledge and skills acquired in NURS 9121 will be beneficial for those pursuing careers in nursing research, healthcare administration, and policy development.