NUTR 2040 – Nutrition Across the Life Cycle at Clemson University is an undergraduate course that provides students with a comprehensive understanding of nutrition throughout various stages of life.
The course covers a diverse range of topics, including:
• Foundations of Nutrition: Students will delve into the fundamental principles of nutrition, exploring macronutrients, micronutrients, and their roles in maintaining health across the life span.
• Life Cycle Nutrition: The course examines nutrition requirements and considerations during different life stages, including infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and older adulthood. Students will gain insights into the unique nutritional needs of individuals at each stage.
• Dietary Assessment: NUTR 2040 equips students with the skills to assess dietary patterns and nutritional status. This includes methods for collecting dietary data and analyzing nutritional intake.
• Nutrition Education and Counseling: The course explores strategies for effective nutrition education and counseling, emphasizing communication skills and approaches to promote healthy eating habits.
• Public Health Nutrition: Students will be introduced to the broader aspects of nutrition within the context of public health, exploring initiatives and interventions aimed at improving population-wide nutrition.
• Nutritional Challenges and Solutions: NUTR 2040 addresses contemporary nutritional challenges and explores potential solutions. This includes discussions on issues such as food insecurity, malnutrition, and dietary-related diseases.
• Ethical Considerations in Nutrition: The course emphasizes ethical considerations related to nutrition research, counseling, and public health interventions. Students will engage in discussions on responsible and culturally sensitive nutritional practices.
This course is designed for students interested in nutrition science, dietetics, and related fields. Whether pursuing a career in nutrition or seeking a foundational understanding of how nutrition impacts human health, NUTR 2040 provides valuable knowledge and skills. Students will learn to critically evaluate nutritional information, apply evidence-based approaches, and contribute to promoting health and well-being across the life cycle.