Your Nursing School Application Essay: A Blueprint for Success
Your nursing school application essay is your chance to tell your story and convince the admissions committee that you’re the perfect candidate for their program. It’s important to write an essay that is personal, authentic, and specific. You want to share your unique experiences and perspectives, and explain why you’re passionate about becoming a nurse.
Here is a blueprint for writing a strong nursing school application essay:
- Start by introducing yourself and your interest in nursing.
- Share a brief anecdote or story that illustrates your passion for the profession.
- State your specific goals as a nurse.
- In the body paragraphs, you’ll want to expand on your passion for nursing and your specific goals.
- Share specific examples of experiences that have shaped your interest in nursing.
- Discuss your skills and abilities that would make you a good nurse.
- Highlight your personal qualities that make you a good fit for nursing school and the profession.
- Explain why you’re interested in this particular nursing school.
- In the conclusion, restate your passion for nursing and your commitment to becoming a nurse.
- Thank the admissions committee for their time and consideration.
Tips for Writing a Strong Nursing School Application Essay
- Be personal and authentic. The admissions committee wants to get to know the real you, so don’t be afraid to share your own stories and experiences.
- Be specific and provide examples. Don’t just tell the admissions committee that you’re passionate about nursing. Show them by sharing specific examples of experiences that have shaped your interest in nursing.
- Be clear and concise. State your main points clearly and concisely, and support them with specific examples.
- Use strong verbs and vivid language. This will help your essay come to life and make it more engaging for the admissions committee.
- Tell a story. People are more likely to remember a story than a list of facts. So, use your essay to tell a story about your journey to becoming a nurse.
- Be yourself. The admissions committee wants to get to know the real you, so be yourself and let your personality shine through in your essay.
Specific Things to Include in Your Nursing School Application Essay
Your passion for nursing:
Why are you interested in becoming a nurse? What experiences have shaped your interest in nursing? What are your specific goals as a nurse?
Your skills and abilities:
What skills and abilities do you have that would make you a good nurse? How have you demonstrated these skills in your past experiences? How will you use your skills and knowledge to make a difference as a nurse?
Your personal qualities:
What personal qualities make you a good fit for nursing school and the profession? How will your personal qualities contribute to your success as a nurse?
Your reasons for choosing this particular nursing school:
Why are you interested in this particular nursing school? What specific programs or opportunities at this school appeal to you? How will this school help you achieve your goals as a nurse?